Friday 23 April 2010

Give yourself authority to dream!

Two friends of mine recently entered a competition to with the Ultimate Job in Ireland (and Probably the world) and have just been shortlisted in the top 10 out of hundreds of applications. They're now in with a chance of spending 6 months travelling the world to test out honeymoon venues.

You can see the moment when they found out they got shortlilsted here. What struck me was their willingness to dream this into reality and the effect it had on the outcome. Here's the difference between them and me:

Me - I looked at the website and thought "pfff... I can't make a video and even if I could and did, there's no way I'd win"

Mark & Denise - with vision boards, bundles of dreaming out-loud and a go-getting attitude (including doing a 2k run dressed as bride & groom), they'd already experienced getting into the Top 10. It's like the famous instance when Edmund Hilary, having climbed Everest was asked how it felt. He responded that it was just like every other time he'd climbed it in his dreams.

Giving ourselves the authority to dream actually allows those dreams to become a reality. Mark & Denise (along with Buddhism and The Law of Attraction) showed me that we can literally conjure anything we want into our lives. In fact more than that- that our lives are actually a physical representation of what we dream for.

It's because with a dream we're much more focused on creating an outcome. With a mountain like Everest to climb, you're not going to see the Hillaries of the world lurking around the bottom for too long.

But there's a couple of limiting beliefs that get in the way - otherwise we'd all be living our dreams. Here's a few I've identified:

- To put ourselves out there and say "I want that" publically is to risk failure if we don't get it
- The belief that somehow they would be able to do it because they're that sort of person. Whereas we could never manage it.
- Focusing on other 'serious' parts of life that we've constructed for ourselves in favour of the things we really want to do.

Why, I ask?

I dreamt of running my own training business, and here I am. Now, Mark and Denise have inspired me to ask... What else can I conjure?


Good luck for the finals guys!

Update 10th May 2010:
Of course it hardly came as a surprise, but it was an incredible pleasure to hear that yesterday Mark & Denise actually won the Ultimate Job! Congratulations to them both for their hard work and self-belief that made this possible.



Related articles
What's your point?
Focus & one-pointedness in action

1 comment:

denise said...

Thanks very much Sarah, what a lovely post.

I found out about this job because my friend Christina texted me to say "I've found your perfect job". Without that text, I wouldn't have found out about it. (Thanks C - owe you a cocktail!)

When I looked at the website, I got tingles, and thought "this is it", because my dream boards and my goals are always about travel and freedom.

I just "had this feeling" that we could win it.

They had more than 30,000 applications, and the morning we were shortlisted into the Top 50, I had a dream about it, so I wasn't too surprised.

When we got into the Top 10, again, I wasn't really surprised, but still a bit nervous.

Now, I'm focusing on visualising the outcome and the judges calling out "Denise & Mark Duffield-Thomas!" at the gala dinner.

The other thing we're doing is packing up our house, preparing some of the logistics we'd need to do before a six month trip, and just being really focused on winning.

So - what if we don't get it?

It really doesn't matter. I think we're showing the universe / God that we are serious about our goals and dreams, and we're ready - just show us the opportunity and we're there!